Free SSL certificates*
Caro Creative can now offer Free SSL certificates in partnership with our favorite WordPress host, WP Engine. The specialist WordPress hosting platform has now added the ability to easily set-up certificates with Let’s Encrypt, a free, automated, and open certificate authority that provides digital certificates, for free.
What is Let’s Encrypt?
Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open certificate authority, run for us all to benefit from. It is a service provided by the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG).
They give people the digital certificates they need in order to enable HTTPS (SSL/TLS) for websites, for free, in the most user-friendly way possible. They do this because they want to create a more secure and privacy-respecting Web.
The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.
How can I make my website https/ secure?
Installing the SSL certificate is just the first part of the process for making your website fully SSL-compliant. If you want to have a go yourself please ready my blog post “How to add SSL and HTTPS to your WordPress website” before you do so. If you get stuck please get in touch. I’ll be more than happy to help out.
*Please note: You have to have a WordPress website hosted with Caro Creative on my WP Engine servers to qualify for the free SSL certificate.